In the year 2012 several resume concepts became antiquated and new ones were introduced
- References Available upon request (they will obviously be put on your application!)
- Objective (The company no longer wants to know what you want to do….they care what can you do from them
- Add your LinkedIn URL to the resume below your email address
- Add a 10-12 bulleted summary with task oriented and innate skills (soft skills sometimes work here.
People continually ask me what are some of the top major “red flags”?
- Veterans not using the key word “Veterans”
- “References available upon request” is no longer used
- Using 8 or 9 font just to keep the resume on one page
- Abbreviations: FL should be spelled out. No such thing as an Admin Asst
- Omit “Responsible”
- Leave “personal” information off unless it directly relates to your field of expertise
- Typographical Errors are inexcusable!!
- Omit your address – Recruiters love to use Mapquest to determine if you’d be asking for a raise soon after hire due to distance from the workplace.
Remember the first 7 seconds are critical!!